Illinois law provides police officers with the right to perform arrests. However, law enforcement officers occasionally exercise that right improperly. At the Chicago Law Offices of Kamin Civil Rights Group, I understand the humiliation and stress you may face due to a false arrest, also called false imprisonment.

I have more than 15 years of experience handling false arrest cases throughout the Chicagoland area. I know the difference between a legal arrest and false imprisonment, and I can evaluate the details of your arrest to determine if you have a claim. If you were falsely arrested, my goal as your lawyer will be to help you pursue justice and compensation.

Contact an attorney immediately if you feel your arrest was not proper. To discuss your situation with the Kamin Civil Rights Group call 312-322-0077 for a free consultation.

What Is a Legal Arrest?

Were you aware that being arrested doesn’t involve handcuffs or your Miranda Rights? Technically, an arrest occurs any time a reasonable person wouldn’t feel free to leave a situation. The moment an officer of the law places you in a squad car, asks you to sit on a curb or follow specific instructions so that you can’t walk away – you are arrested. The key to pursuing a false arrest claim is understanding when an arrest is legal and when it is illegal.

By law, police officers may only arrest or detain you if they have probable cause. If you were detained or arrested without probable cause, the false arrest constitutes a violation of your civil rights.

Making a Claim

Losing your freedom is reason enough to make a claim. When officers abuse their authority, you can suffer greatly. The arrest process is stressful and upsetting. The booking process at the police station involves fingerprinting, taking a mug shot, being locked in a jail cell with criminals and possible interrogation. All of these experiences may serve as damages. Besides making a claim for false arrest, I can also help you sue for malicious prosecution, depending on the circumstances of your case. 

Free Initial Phone Consultation

Please call me right away to discuss your case. You can reach me at 312-322-0077.